2015 marks the Centenary of the ill fated allied invasion of Gallipoli in which almost 600,000 Allies and Turkish soldiers were killed. Included in the British Forces were the men who formed 1/6th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers. These men were drawn mainly from Bury, Heywood, Middleton, Rochdale, Todmorden and what is today Greater Manchester. It is to the memory of the men of both sides and the recognition of their sacrifice this blog and the Reading The Century events have been facilitated by the Rochdale Co-operative Members Volunteer Group.
Local Area Roll of Honour

Craiglockhart

(Not Yet Diagnosed Nervous)

I kicked over the wheelchair - couldn’t do the simplest task,
except the epileptic flailing of my army antimasque.
The hissing gas-lamp had me reaching for the mask.
You opened up my mind and you didn’t even ask.

I’m like a marionette with twisted strings,
my limbs are jack-knifing and my inner ear sings
of the pain of war and other perverse things.
I can’t find the peace that a hospital brings.

No matter how obedient your soldiers of war,
when shells reign down they’ll be shaken to the core,
until there comes a time when they can’t take anymore
and their minds shut down behind a glazed, closed door.

You think it might be shock waves, or poison from the shells
that’s making me withdraw into this epileptic hell
- sometimes you shrug your shoulders - say “we just can’t tell,
if it’s lack of moral fibre that’s making him unwell”.

Your treatments are barbaric, Persuade, Explain, Suggest
- baths, massage, electric shocks are really for the best,
when all my mind needs is aching, morbid rest,
and not feeling like a rat in a cataclysmic test.

You put me in this chapel, you sit me in this chair,
you give me books to read and feign a sense of care
- but one day I will walk from here and people will not stare
at the dancing, crazy, screaming, Craiglockhart nightmare.

Leave me alone! Shut up! I think I’m going insane,
I’ve got all these bombs going off in my brain.
I’m like a rabid dog at the end of it’s chain
- and they’re going to send me back to the front again.
  
© Ian Whiteley