2015 marks the Centenary of the ill fated allied invasion of Gallipoli in which almost 600,000 Allies and Turkish soldiers were killed. Included in the British Forces were the men who formed 1/6th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers. These men were drawn mainly from Bury, Heywood, Middleton, Rochdale, Todmorden and what is today Greater Manchester. It is to the memory of the men of both sides and the recognition of their sacrifice this blog and the Reading The Century events have been facilitated by the Rochdale Co-operative Members Volunteer Group.
Local Area Roll of Honour

Johnny Turk

Johnny Turk is a young Turk
     And a fine young man is he,
staring down on Suvla Bay and our dogged infantry,
staring down from Sari Bair on the heights we never took,
     for Johnny Turk is a young Turk
with a mean ferocious look.

I see him through binoculars,
     I see him in my sleep,
peeping through moustachios and a riflescope too deep,
peeping down from rock and cliff on my riflepit below,
     where I grease out particulars
of my Enfield cartridge stow.

I see him high above the smoke
     of our intermittent shells
as high explosive lands among us like thunderous funeral bells,
as high explosive rattles our heads and blows our headgear off,
     I see that raffish Turkish face
peer into my life and cough.

If we'd have been a bit more bold
     we'd have carried Suvla Bay,
but we weren't, and we lost, and we dug delay
into our trenches and lost the chance to meet
     my Johnny Turk, as things unfold,
in POW Street.

Johnny Turk is a young Turk,
     as he cocks his sniper piece,
staring down with disbelief as we abandon our trench with ease
staring down with disbelief as we board our boats and go
     for Johnny Turk is a young Turk
and caused our overthrow.

With a little help from the Ordnance Board
     and ill trained new recruits,
undersupply and a tactical lie in the chaos of Turkey Shoots,
undersupply and a tactical lie that trapped us down below,
     for Johnny Turk is a young Turk,
and I'm glad he let us go.  

© Michael Higgins